Sunday, March 18, 2012

Stepping Out In The Community

I am excited to announce that Sound Empire is a proud sponsor of the 2012 Maryland NAMIWALKS. The NAMIWALKS is hosted by the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Maryland. Proceeds from this event provide NAMI Maryland with some of the resources it needs to provide essential, practical education and support programs for persons diagnosed with mental illness and their relatives.

Mental Illness affects one in four adults. Yes, for every four people you know one of them is affected by an illness such as depression, schizophrenia, anxiety, and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), etc. Mental illnesses are more common than cancer. NAMI has been an organization that has worked to fight the stigma of mental illness while giving families the resources they need to cope with the debilitating affects of such illnesses. I personally benefited from NAMI’s programs and services. Over 5 years ago when I came to NAMI looking for a job I was in denial about my relative’s illness. At that time my relative was homeless and had children, and my family did not know what to do. I didn’t know how to talk about the things that we were going through and I was not going to ask for help. After attending the NAMI Family-to-Family education course I realized that I am not alone and help is out there. Mental illness is like any other illness. It affects the entire family. However, the one big difference is stigma. Stigma is what keeps so many people from getting the help that they need. So, on May 19, 2012 come join Sound Empire Entertainment as we join NAMI Maryland to help put an end to the shame!

2012 Maryland NAMIWALKS in Baltimore

May 19, 2012

Rash Field- Inner Harbor

Check-In: 10 AM

To register or for more information visit the NAMI Maryland Walk - Baltimore page here: http://goo.gl/FTa85

For more information about NAMI Maryland and to find a local affiliate near you visit http://www.namimd.org/ or call 410-884-8691.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the 2012 NAMIWALKS in Baltimore!

Stacey Harrison

President and CEO